Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Torn ACL, what a crapfest.


Eve, my sweet little pittie has a torn ACL. We have been thinking about surgery but she is 9 years old and we're just not sure if it's the right thing to do. I want to have the surgery done for her, but money is a problem. We just don't have the $1,500 to do it. Is it worth having the surgery done in an older dog? No one knows. Just like any thing, there are no guarantees. I hate seeing her in pain and other then her leg, there is nothing wrong with her. The vet said she is healthy otherwise. For now we are just keeping her on meds to make her comfy and trying to budget the money. I think I know where my tax refund is going....

There is a care credit that we are going to apply for, which I think would be a good thing to have anyways. Plus some girls at work are helping me to make a "chip in" page for Eve on facebook where people could donate money to her. I hate to do that, to me it feels like begging, but my co workers say it's ok because it's helping an animal that may not get a fair shot without the money. Then they brought up the fact that I have helped so many other people with thier dogs,cats and horses that if I need a little help I should ask, others may be willing to help me back. I hope that's the case. Even if just a few people help out, it would make a diffrence. Though I keep wondering why anyone would want to help me and my silly old pitbull. I hope this isn't an omen for what's in store for 2011. What a crappy way to start off the new year.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

There are a few companies out there who make a knee brace for dogs with ACL tears. I have a coworker who opted to buy a brace rather than put his older dog through the surgery, as it is supposed to be extremely painful and invasive. The brace works wonderfully for his dog. Just thought I'd share, good luck with your old girl. :)