Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Bah Humbug!


I have to admit, I'm lacking the Christmas spirit this year. I feel like I'm just going through the motions of decorating and wishing everyone a "Happy Holiday". Maybe it's because I'm in retail and working in retail sucks the Christmas right out of you. I normally decorate the barn and hang stockings off the stall doors. I've done none of that this year. The most Christmasy thing in the barn is the all Christmas music radio station I leave on for the horses at night. To me Christmas is all about the all mighty dollar and since I don't have a lot of those (thanks to the horses) I feel left out of this holiday. I'm trying to get into the spirit of things, I really am, but for some reason, the magic just isn't there for me this year. Maybe I need to help out at some animal rescue or something just to give something. Sadly though, even time is something that I don't have a lot of and even giving that is a lot. I know I will have to work on Christmas Eve, and won't be home until late. Our family normally does a big dinner on Christmas Eve and this year we may not be able to do that. My family takes a back seat to my job and customers who have waited until the last minute to buy dog food. Not only does my Christmas get messed up by my work but my work also wants me to be happy and cheerful about this. So yeah, while most people are enjoying time by the fire with their family, I will be with my work family on Christmas Eve wishing crabby people "Happy Holidays" while they shop for that last minute hamster gift or that last minute bag of dog food. My advice to people who do their Christmas shopping late on Christmas Eve, please be nice to the people working, they don't want to be working on Christmas Eve, it's not their fault that you waited until the last moment to buy gifts and that the store is out of that hot sale item that everybody wants. Remember the niceties. Please.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I used to work at a pharmacy, and I always got stuck working the holidays. You would have a few people that would understand and thank you for working on the holiday. But the majority of the last minute customers were nightmares. I have sworn off working customer service since having that job and I think it takes a special kind of person who can deal with customers. So, thank you for working your holiday as well, I know it is a pain in the butt!