Sunday, March 28, 2010

Chilling with my peeps


We got baby chicks! I wanted to get a few more hens since I am down to only one laying hen and one rooster. So today I picked up 4 baby chicks and two 6 month old hens. That should help boost my egg production back to where it should be! Granted, it will take a while for the babies to start laying (6 months or so) but it will be worth the wait for fresh eggs. Mmmmm, omelets.....

The larger hens will need to stay in this cage for another day until I can let them chill with my free roam birds. I wanted them to get used to each other a bit first through the bars before I just released them into the "wild". So far things are going fine and they seem not to care about each other.

The barn cleaning is going slow but well. I should have started this a few weeks ago and not waited until the last minute, but hey, I'm lazy, so what of it? It's supposed to rain for the next 4 days (insert my grumbling here) so I'm sure Steve will be starting the barn since it's inside work.





It's slowly coming along. It's been in the low 30's and after that wonderful weather in the 50's and 60's, it seems cold to me so I haven't been wanting to be outside much. But I am plugging along and doing my best.

I am thinking about going back to my boarding the horses idea while Steve is working on the barn. I had changed my mind and thought that they would be ok here while Steve worked, but now with all the mud, I would rather have them someplace else for a while then standing in mud all day here. I need to step up my search for a boarding barn. This is what I will be doing tomorrow after work. Wish me luck!

No comments: