Tuesday, September 21, 2010

SCA weekend with the horses. Doing it midevil style!


On friday I got the horse trailer all ready and hooked up to pick up my friend's horses so we could take them to an SCA event. SCA stands for Society for Creative Anachronisms. "The SCA is an international organization dedicated to researching and re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe. Our "Known World" consists of 19 kingdoms, with over 30,000 members residing in countries around the world. Members, dressed in clothing of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, attend events which feature tournaments, royal courts, feasts, dancing, various classes & workshops, and more.”

After a rocky start, the truck kept stalling out at every light and stop sign, we got the horses and made it to camp.

All of Friday was spent wondering what Saturday's events would be and if the horses would be able to do what was asked of them. Though, I must admit, some drinking was involved, as you can see by the bottle of raspberry beer in Shannon's hand.

Saturday morning we woke up early, a little too early, and got the horses ready so we could authorize to ride. Authorizing was much easier then I expected. It was all about how well you could ride and control you horse, being able to ride and steer you horse one handed, and how well you handle the weapons, yes, I said weapons.
There were staffs and wooden swords that the horses needed to get used to. Shannon did a great job on her horse!
The games were knock the head off the pole, hit the quintain, throw a spear at hay bales or a fake deer, and use a lance to get the rings off an overhead pole.

Our horses did really well. I borrowed a horse just because I didn't want to overwhelm Doodles with everything and Gypsy hasn't been ridden in so long, plus I wasn't sure if she'd be sound enough for the day's activities.

I rode Ari, the painted Icelandic, and despite his worry, he did very well for me. Though he was a little hard headed at times, we did ok, I think, for a horse I've only ridden a handful of times. I can't wait to do this again next year but with one of my horses. I'm already thinking of ways to make the equipment they had there so I can start training my girls to do this.


I think some of the other riders were much nicer turned out then I was, but it was still fun watching them.






It was such a fun weekend! I can't wait to do something like it again but with my own horses!